If you’re craving some starchy carbs, feast your eyes on these quinoa, chickpea and mango stuffed sweet potato skins. Courtenay Perks of Whole Vegan Pantry has added hints of lime, tamari and mango to give this dish a tropical flavour, which is satisfying enough as a main meal or can be added to the table as a side. This also makes a great addition to a summer Christmas banquet.
1/4 cup dried chickpeas
1/4 cup mixed (black, white, red) quinoa, uncooked
2 medium to large sweet potatoes
1 fresh mango, chopped
1 red bullet chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
3 spring onions, sliced finely
drizzle of tamari soy sauce
juice of 1 lime
drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
ground Himalayan sea salt
1 small handful of coriander, torn
1 small handful of flat leaf parsley, torn
- Soak the chickpeas overnight or for 12 hours. The following day, rinse these in a colander. Simmer chickpeas over medium heat for 45 to 60 minutes (until tender), and again strain and rinse in the colander. These keep for up to 4 days in the fridge.
- Simmer the quinoa in 1/2 cup of water covered in a saucepan until the water is absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Wrap sweet potatoes in alfoil and bake in your oven for 45 minutes or until just soft.
- Unwrap the potatoes carefully. Slice in half lengthways. Gently scoop out some of the soft flesh of the potato and transfer to a mixing bowl. In the bowl, add all the remaining ingredients except the fresh herbs and olive oil – and mix roughly.
- Spoon this mixture back into the sweet potato. Bake in your oven for 30 minutes. Finish off with a little extra lime juice, olive oil, sea salt and garnish with fresh herbs. If you only have one of these herbs, that’s fine as each works well on its own – use whatever you have.
Recipe and images by Courtenay Perks from Whole Vegan Pantry.